Sunday, April 19, 2009

I Accept Jesus as My Personal Friend

In the DOC church all that is asked of an individual for membership is a rather simple affirmation of faith (we say this is not a creed, because its an affirmation of what we believe. credo in latin means I believe...hmmm...)

At my home church, and at others I have visited, the affirmation is "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the son of the living God and do you accept him as Lord and Savior?" Upon an affirmative response, the individual is accepted into the community and if they have not been baptized they are now eligible.

Easter Sunday I was at a church where I heard a variation on this affirmation: "Do you believe that Jesus is the son of the living God and do you take him to be your personal friend, guide, companion and savior? And do you accept his Gospel of unconditional love?"

Quite different. "Personal friend, guide and companion" can in no way equate to Lord. It is not even in the same ballpark. Lord is someone who has power over us; someone whom we submit to; someone so much greater than ourselves; God.

At this particular church this affirmation was given to children preparing for baptism, so I thought it was intentionally watered down for their benefit. However the same affirmation was asked of the adults being baptized.

How is Jesus Lord in the life of those who make this affirmation? Is the understanding of Jesus' lordship lost? Is he no loner Lord?

No comments: